Dr. Rana Choudhary (Khan)
Consultant Obstetrician, Gynaecologist
Reproductive Medicine (Fertility) Specialist
MBBS, DNB, DGO, DFP, FCPS, FICMCH, FICOG, MNAMS
Masters in Reproductive Medicine & ART (London, UK)
Diploma in ART & Reproductive Medicine (Germany)
Diploma in Clinical Research
Dr Rana Choudhary completed MBBS from the prestigious Seth G.S.M.C. & K.E.M.H, Parel, Mumbai and later pursued postgraduation in Obstetrics and Gynaecology from L.T.M.M.C & L.T.M.G.H, Sion, Mumbai securing distinctions in various subjects and Gold medals. She further completed her D.N.B. in Obstetrics & Gynaecology and MNAMS from the National Board of Examinations (New Delhi). Because of keen interest in infertility, she did super specialization in Reproductive medicine and Infertility. She completed Masters in Reproductive Medicine & IVF from Homerton University Hospital, NHS, London (UK) and Diploma in ART and Reproductive Medicine from Kiel University, Germany.
After completing her studies at premier institutes of India she joined P. D. Hinduja National Hospital & MRC, Mahim as a clinical associate and later T.N.M.C & B.Y.L. Nair Hospital, Mumbai.
She is an active academician and has done research on many subjects related to Gynaecology and particularly Infertility. She has done Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Research and has worked as in the field of Research, as a Research Officer (Medical) & Consultant, at the prestigious National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health (NIRRH), premier institute of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), on various projects in association with World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) for more than 2 years.
She is also a Certified Personal Counselor, which helps her understand the psychologcial problems with the patients. She is a Fellow of Dr. C. S. Dawn Indian College of Maternal and Child Health (NARCHI & Dr. C. S. Dawn) and Fellow of Indian College of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
Currently she is the Honorary Consultant Obstetrician, Gynecologist and Reproductive Medicine specialist at Wockhardt hospital (Mumbai central), Masina hospital (Byculla), Jagjivan Ram Railway hospital (Mumbai central), Apollo Spectra hospital (Tardeo), Meesha Diagnostics & Polyclinic (Mahalaxmi) and Ankoor Fertility clinic (Dadar).
- MOGS Dr Bhanuben Nanavati award for overseas Travelling Fellowship.
- MOGS Dr C. G. Saraiya Traveling Fellowship.
- FOGSI Dr. Shanti Yadav award for best research work in Infertility.
- FOGSI Corion award for best Scientific Research work in Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
- FOGSI – IPAS Young Talent & MTP committee award for making Abortions Safe.
- FOGSI Imaging Science award.
- FOGSI Future award (West zone).
- MOGS Dr. N. K. Allahabadia Research award for excellence in Imaging.
- MOGS Dr. Pramila Bhatia Young Scientist Award, for original research work.
- MOGS Dr. H. Desa Silver Jubilee award for research work.
- MOGS -Prof. Khurshed and Dr. Soonu Sheriar Best Youth Council Member Award.
- MOGS appreciation award at the “MOGS Women’s Health Conclave”.
- MOGS Dr. R.D.Pandit Essay Competition on “Who will speak for the silent women?’ – 1st prize.
Prizes Won at Scientific Communications in International & National Conferences:
- Best paper (Advanced Infertility) – Prospective comparative study of PPOS in IVF / ICSI at MOGS with IVF Worldwide Live Virtual Fertility Enhancement & Management Conference- FEM 3.0, 2020.
- Best paper (Senior – Infertility) – Prospective comparative study of Progesterone vs GnRh antagonist for LH surge prevention in IVF / ICSI at MOGS- FOGSI World conference on Conception to Delivery 2K19, 2019.
- Best Free paper/ video presentation (Senior category) – Complications during transvaginal ultrasound guided oocyte retrieval at MOGS- IAGE Endo ART International conference, 2018.
- Dr D. K. Tank prize for Interesting case (Senior category) – Paper : Pregnancy with chylous ascites at 46thMOGS Annual conference, 2018.
- AICC RCOG Best paper in Reproductive medicine – Evaluation of endometrial and subendometrial blood flow by 3Dtransvagianl power Doppler in unexplained infertility at Annual conference of AICC RCOG, 2017.
- Best Free paper (Senior category) – A prospective interventional study to assess the efficacy and safety of vaginal sildenafil citrate for early onset fetal intra uterine growth restriction at ISOPARB – AFG Annual conference, 2018.
- Interesting case prize – Vaginal sildenafil citrate a boon, in severe IUGR with absent end diastolic flow at Conception to delivery conference, (MOGS, FOGSI, GESTOSIS, AMOGS), 2016.
- Best paper – Complications during transvaginal oocytes retrieval at SMART OBGYN Conference (SAFOG , MOGS), 2016.
- Best paper (Senior category): Viagra – Anew wonder drug for IUGR at 43rd MOGS annual conference, 2015.
- Dr. D. K. Tank prize for interesting case (Junior Category) – Rare case of malignant sertoli leydig cell tumor in pregnancy at 37th MOGS Annual Conference, 2009.
- Best Scientific Communication- Labour analgesia at FOGSI YUVA Congress, 2008.
- Certificate course on Intrauterine insemination by BJOG, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Wiley professional Academy.
- Indian society for assisted reproduction course on ISAR – ART 5 day certificate course for clinicians.
- Fertility courses on Optimising ovarian stimulation, Basic infertility and introduction to ART by Global Fertility Academy and European Accreditation Council for continuing medical education
- Indian society for assisted reproduction course on Fertility enhancing endoscopic surgeries.
- Master class on PCOS and Infertility by PCOS society of India , ISAR in collaboration with Centre for Research in PCOS.
- Advanced Ultrasound in Infertility and Gynaecology (including 3D USG), Training programme by Dr Nagori’s Institute for Infertility & IVF, Ahmedabad.
- Trained in Laparoscopic Sterilization at the FPA India Reproductive Health & Family Planning Centre, Mumbai.
- Trained in Obstetric & Gynaecological Ultrasonographies (USGs) and Fetal heart rate (FHR) monitoring at Nowrosjee Wadia Maternity Hospital.
- Trained in Obstetric & Gynaecological Ultrasonographies (USGs), LTMMC & LTMG Hospital, Sion.
- Asia & Oceania Federation of Obstetrics & Gynaecolocy (AOFOG) online course on Evidence Based Infertility Care.
- IVF Worldwide Online Congress (2nd) in Reproductive Medicine.
- Fetal Medicine Foundation webinar course in Fetal Medicine by The Fetal Medicine Foundation, London.
- Postgraduate Online Medico-Legal course by Apex Institute of Medicolegal system.
- Trained in No Scalpel Vasectomy technique at F/South ward office.
- ICOG Certificate Course on Gynaecologic Oncology.
- FOGSI Master Class on Ovulation Induction.
SCIENTIFIC WORK :
Member of Editorial board: Journal of Urology and Renal Diseases
I am on the Reviewer board of:
- International Journal of Fertility and Sterility (Pubmed indexed, International Journal)
- Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of India (Pubmed indexed)
- Invited reviewer for BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gyanecology (2016), Clinical Case Reports, Wiley publications. Scientific Editor – Eric Jauniaux (Pubmed indexed, International Journal)
- Journal of Urology and Renal Diseases
- Asian Research Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Asian Journal of Pregnancy & Childbirth
- Annual Research & Review in Biology
- Asian Journal of Biology
- Asian Oncology Research Journal
- Asian Journal of Pediatric Research
- Asian Journal of Research in Surgery
- Asian Journal of Research and Reports in Endocrinology
- Asian Journal of Research and Reports in Neurology
- Asian Journal of case reports in Medicine & Health
- Asian Journal of Cardiology Research
- International Journal of Research and Reports in Gynaecology
- Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International
- Journal of Advances in Medicine & Medical Research
- Journal of Cancer & Tumor International
- International Journal of Plant and Soil Science
- Choudhary, RA, et al. Rare Case of Bilateral Ovarian Lymphangioma with Chylous Ascites in Pregnancy with Review of Literature. J Obstet Gynecol India (Dec 2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13224-020-01377-7.
- Choudhary RA et al. Pyosalpingx– Delayed complication following transvaginal oocyte retrieval (TVOR) for in vitro fertilisation (IVF). International Journal of scientific research. Volume 9, issue 9, September 2020. Doi- 10.36101/ijsr.
- Choudhary RA et al. Letrozole – Novel drug for medical management for tubal ectopic pregnancy. International Journal of scientific research. Volume 9, issue 9, September 2020. Doi- 10.36101/ijsr.
- Ganla KN, Choudhary RA, et al. Sildenafil Citrate: Novel Therapy in the management of ovarian torsion. J Hum Reprod Sci 2019;12:351-4.
- Choudhary RA, et al. Pyometra in the postpartum: a forgotten complication. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2019;8:2923-5.
- Ganla KN, Choudhary RA, et al. Sildenafil Citrate: Novel Therapy in the management of ovarian torsion. J Hum ReprodSci 2019;12:351-4.
- Choudhary RA, et al. Primary ovarian ectopic pregnancy: early diagnosis is the key. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2019 Dec;8(12):5043-5045. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20195368.
- Ganla KN, Choudhary RA, et al. A retrospective interventional study for evaluation of efficacy and safety of sildenafil citrate in improving intrauterine growth restriction and oligohydramnios using ultrasound Doppler velocimetry. Int J Basic Clin Pharmacol 2019;8:2736-40.
- Choudhary RA et al. Sildenafil citrate therapy in absent end diastolic flow in umbilical artery in an early onset fetal growth restriction (FGR) fetus. International Journal of Reproduction, Contraception, Obstetrics and Gynecology. Int J ReprodContraceptObstet Gynecol. 2018 Dec;7(12): DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2320-1770.ijrcog20180001.
- Patil AD, Chauhan SL, Khan R et al. Preterm birth among pregnancies conceived by assisted reproduction techniques in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2018;7:1548-53.
- Choudhary RA, et al. Ureteric Injury During Transvaginal Oocyte Retrieval (TVOR) and Review of Literature. J Hum Reprod Sci 2017;10: 61-4.
- Choudhary R, et al, Case report “Sildenafil citrate : a wonder drug for the management of fetal growth restriction (FGR) and oligohydroamnios”, Int J Womens Health.2016 Aug 9;8:367-72. Dove press publications. oi: 10.2147/IJWH.S108370. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27563258)
- Suchitra Pandit, Rana Khan, Surgical techniques for performing Caesarean section including CS at full dilatation, Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Elsevier journals, April 2013 (Vol. 27 ; No. 2 ; Pages 179-195). (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/best-practice-and-research-clinical-obstetrics-and-gynaecology/Surgical techniques for performing caesarean section including CS at full dilatation).
- Pandit S., Khan Rana, Case report : Vulval masses – a forgotten entity, Bombay hospital journal, Oct 2013, Vol. 55, No. 4, Pages 664- 668.
- Bhandari, Khan Rana. Near miss obstetric events – A concept to nurture, Medical Progress (CME journal for Asian clinicians), February 2013; (Vol 5; No. 2; Pages 59-61).
Articles / Chapters Published In Textbooks :
- Medical management of Oligoasthenoteratozoospermia, for the book ‘Decision making in infertility’, Jaypee publications, 2019.
- Intrauterine insemination, for the book ‘Newer trends in ART’, Jaypee publications 2019.
- Medical management of male infertility, for the book ‘Newer trends in ART’, Jaypee publications 2019.
- Unruptured Follicular Syndrome, for the book ‘Decision making in infertility’, Jaypee publications, 2019.
- Failure to respond to Gonadotrophins, for the book ‘Decision making in infertility’, Jaypee publications, 2019.
- Empty Follicular Syndrome, for the book ‘Decision making in infertility’, Jaypee publications, 2019.
- Case reports- Complication of oocyte retrieval: Bleeding from ovarian surface and ureteric injury after pickup. Complicated cases in Assisted Reproductive Techniques. Kontentworx publications: 2018, pg 24-35.
- Lateral metroplasty. In- Osama Shawki, Sushma Deshmukh& Luis Alonso Pacheco (Eds.). Mastering the techniques in Hysteroscopy. Jaypee publications, First edition 2017.
- Complications in Assisted Reproductive Technique. Decoding Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Jaypee Publications, First edition 2017.
- Medical management of male infertility. Day to day management of infertility, released at MACORM conference, 2016.
- Maternal assessment in hypertensive disease of pregnancy. In: Prof Sabaratnam Arulkumaran. Hypertensive Disease in Pregnancy, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Pvt Ltd, India, First edition 2014, chapter 8, pages 75 – 78.
- Book titled ‘Physician’s Quick Reference Series (PQRS) on L Arginine in IUGR’, MacMillan Medical Communications publications, First edition 2014.
- Issues in post partum care in LSCS mother. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Pvt Ltd Publication, India, First edition 2013.
- Mother with Sickle cell disease. Clinical handbook on Complicated cases in High risk pregnancy and labor. Distributor Kothari Medical publications, 2012.
- Induction of labor. Pregnancy at risk, A practical approach to high risk pregnancy and delivery FOGSI, Section eleven, Chapter 72, 5th edition, Jaypee publication, 2009.
Articles / Chapters Published In ISAR / FOGSI / MOGS / AMOGS Publications Or Newsletters :
- Unexplained infertility: Does it exist?, for the book FOGSI Focus – Recent Advances in Infertility, 2019.
- OHSS- Prediction & Prevention, ISAR express, Newsletter of Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction. Issue 3, April. 2018, pg 11-13.
- Intrauterine insemination. FOGSI Focus – Infertility, 2017.
- Medical Management of Male Infertility. MOGS e-newsletter article, 2016-17.
- Low molecular weight heparin in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. AMOGS newsletter, released at the AMOGS 30th Annual conference, Shirdi, 2016.
- Iron sucrose in Pregnancy, MOGS news and views, Issue 1, 2012.
- Prevention and Management of Postpartum haemorrhage, MOGS News letter, April – May 2012.
- Indian Public Health Context ( with guidelines); FOGSI Focus – ‘Intrauterine devices’, Section I, Chapter 3, April 2010.
- PAM – Newer insights in therapy; FOGSI Focus- ‘The Menopause’, Section V- Facts & myths of different studies on menopause; Chapter 21, Jan 2010.
- Difficulty in delivering babies during caesarean section; FOGSI Focus – ‘Safe pregnancy & delivery’, Chapter -; Jan 2009.
- Minimal standards of care during caesarean section, ICOG campus, Jan 2009.
- Clinical signs and symptoms of IDA. FOGSI Focus – Iron deficiency anaemia, 2008
Scientific Papers Presentations At International & National Conference as First Author:
- Ureteric injury during transvaginal ultrasound guided oocyte retrieval at 24th ISAR Annual conference, March 2019.
- Ovarian torsion, MOGS annual conference, Feb 2020.
- Sildenafil citrate – Novel therapy in management of 2019.
- Pyometra in the postpartum, a forgotten complication, High risk pregnancy, MOGS conference, Aug 2018.
- Effect of insulin in polycystic ovary syndrome at FEMM Conference 2017.
- Vaginal sildenafil citrate a boon, in severe IUGR with absent end diastolic flow at Conception to delivery conference, (MOGS, FOGSI, GESTOSIS, AMOGS), Nov 2016.
- Complications during transvaginal oocytes retrieval at SMART OBGYN Conference (SAFOG , MOGS), April 2016.
- Antibiotic Prophylaxis during the Second & Third Trimester to Reduce Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes & Morbidity in ART Conceived Women at FEM conference 2015.
- Non descent vaginal hysterectomies- A forgotten art! at AICOG 2013.
- Assess the efficacy & safety of intramuscular ‘Butorphanol tartrate’ versus ‘Tramadol hydrochloride’ for labour analgesia at FOGSI-FIGO Workshop on women’s Health & International Congress on Recent Advances in Obstetrics & Gynaecology, (2012).
- A random prospective comparative study to evaluate the efficacy of intravenous iron sucrose versus oral ferrous sulphate in the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia of pregnancy at 26th All India ISOPARB & AFG Congress 2010.
- Interesting case- ‘Rare case of malignant sertoli leydig cell tumor in pregnancy’ at 37th MOGS Annual Conference (2009).
- Use of modified B-Lynch brace sutures in management of atonic postpartum haemorrhage at AICOG 2009.
- Poster on ‘Modified B-lynch brace sutures in management of atonic post partum haemorrhage (PPH)’ at 35th MOGS Annual Conference, 2007.
Life member of various organizations like :
- Mumbai Obstetric and Gynaecological Society (MOGS)
- Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI)
- Indian Society for Assisted Reproduction (ISAR)
- Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (MNAMS)
- Indian Society of Perinatology and Reproductive Biology (ISOPARB)
- Indian Association of Gynaecological Endoscopist (IAGE)
- Association of Fellow Gynaecologists (AFG).
- Indian Society for Study of Reproduction and Fertility (ISSRF).